St. John the Evangelist Parish History
St. John the Evangelist Parish, like the child Jesus, grew from a humble beginning. Its parishioners walked to their first Mass in the cold basement of the Vittori-Rocci Italian American Veterans Post over wooden planks laid across mud puddles. It was July 24, 1955, and Masses continued there until late the next year.
The Parish was actually founded on July 4th, 1955, by Archbishop Richard J. Cushing. It was established in the heart of North Beverly to serve the spiritual needs of the expanding community. Under the untiring guidance of the first pastor, Fr. Patrick J. Curtin, St. John’s quickly grew as a community of faith. The first census revealed that 540 families became members of the church, and they joined fund-raising programs for the building of the new church/school/convent complex.
Since then St. John’s has continued to grow and flourish in North Beverly. Our school is blessed with excellent teachers and administration, and our parish life is multi-faceted and centered in Christ. Since Fr. Curtin St. John’s has had a number of priests, including Fr. George Butera, Fr. William MacLoughlin, Fr. Bill Devine, and Monsignor Bill Cuddy.
In 2013, St. John’s became a part of the Beverly Catholic Collaborative and Sean Cardinal O’Malley appointed Fr. Mark Mahoney as Pastor of St. John the Evangelist, as well as St. Mary Star of the Sea and St. Margaret. Together the three parishes work together to evangelize Beverly.